Robert Thompson visits SACC Camera Clubs – Jan 2016
The January calendar highlight for three SACC clubs had to be the visit and presentation by internationally renowned nature photographer Robert Thompson FRPS, FIPF. The SACC, on behalf of Cork Camera Group, Shannon Camera Club and Kilkenny Photographic Society invited Robert to make a series of presentations to the three clubs on Jan 19th, 20th, and 21st respectively.
From member feedback and social media posts the three presentations were a resounding success with individual members commenting that Robert’s presentations were among the best they had attended.
Robert’s knowledge, professionalism, and attention to details were a revelation. He generously shared his knowledge and experience of nature photography and left members with much to think about and to practice in their photography.
Among the many points made by Robert during his presentations were:
- Know your camera equipment and be instinctive about the menu system so that you can quickly access and set the camera settings required for a given situation.
- Plan your photo shoots and pre-visualise the image(s) you wish to capture. This not only helps with a positive outcome but also assists in developing your creativity.
- As much as is possible, pre-select the camera settings required for the shoot. In some cases frequently used settings can be pre-programmed into “memory” buttons on your camera – learn how to do this and set them up.
- Research and study your subjects and their environment before heading out into the field. When in the field also take the time to study the environment before taking images and think about different angles and an uncluttered background.
- Avoid being a seasonal photographer and if your particular genre of photography is seasonal, then practice an alternative, but possibly related, genre in the off season to keep your camera and creative skills honed.
The SACC Committee and the three camera clubs would like to extend their warm thanks to Robert for his excellent presentations. At the end of each presentation Robert generously raffled a number of his highly successful books.
Our sincere thanks to Robert for this series of fantastic presentations.
Thanks must also be extended to the SACC committee and the representatives from the three clubs for their coordination and organisation of the three extremely successful events.
For more background on Robert Thompson and to see his exemplary work check out the following links:
- (SACC Post) http://sacc.ie/robert-thompson-lecture-tour-jan-19th-to-21st-2015
- (Robert Thompson’s website) http://www.robertthompsonphotography.com